Monday, January 3, 2011

Easy Chicken Noodle Soup

I needed a recipe to use up some boiled chicken breast I had in the fridge and I found this one on All Recipes.  It was true to it's name, easy!  We really liked it and are still eating the leftovers.  It is the perfect soup for a cold night and it reheats well for leftovers - I added a little more vegetable stock to the leftovers b/c there wasn't a ton of broth left in the tupperware.  I added too much "filling" - chicken, noodles, veggies - but I always end up doing that for some reason.  It was still good and I like my soup extra noodle-y anyway.  :)  I know it's after Christmas but I made this a few weeks ago and to be honest, we still have not put up our Christmas dishes or mugs yet!


Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth ( I used 2 big cartons, about 64 oz I think)
1 (14.5 ounce) can vegetable broth (I will use 2 cans next time)
1/2 pound chopped cooked chicken breast (I used almost a pound of chopped chicken)
1 1/2 cups egg noodles (I used about half a box of fettucine noodles, broken into small pieces)
1 cup sliced carrots
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste (I also added a little garlic)


Directions
In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Cook onion and celery in butter until just tender, 5 minutes. Pour in chicken and vegetable broths and stir in chicken, noodles, carrots, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes before serving.  (I let it simmer on low for about an hour).

No comments:

Post a Comment