Saturday, May 1, 2010

Spinach Lasagna Rolls

I have seen this recipe floating around the blog world since February and I have had the ingredients in my fridge and pantry to make it for over a month....tonight I finally got to make it and it was so, so, so good.  It is light but filling at the same time.  It definitely did not taste like a "light/diet friendly" meal at all.  The best part is we have leftovers - the rolls still come out a pretty good size and 2 were more than enough for me.  This is not a weeknight friendly meal for our house, even though it's super easy.  It takes a little longer than normal to boil the noodles, drain them and let them dry, then roll them and bake the whole thing.  It is so definitely worth the extra time and like I said, it is really super easy!  I think from now on I will make all lasagna in this fashion (the roll) instead of the casserole version...it comes out looking pretty too and would definitely impress any dinner guests.  We devoured our plates along with some garlic bread and a bottle of red wine, yum.
Ingredients:
9 lasagna noodles, cooked
10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and completely drained
15 oz fat free ricotta cheese (I used a fat free version of whatever HEB had in stock)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg
salt and fresh pepper
32 oz tomato sauce
9 tbsp part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (I used pizza blend cheese, it was all I had)

Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Ladle about 1 cup sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking dish. (I couldn't find the right size dish so I used 2 smaller dishes instead)
- Place a piece of wax paper on the counter and lay out lasagna noodles. Make sure noodles are dry. Take 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture and spread evenly over noodle. (I did this with my hands, it was too difficult to smooth it out with a spoon). Roll carefully and place seam side down onto the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles.
- Ladle sauce over the noodles in the baking dish and top each one with 1 tbsp mozzarella cheese.
- Put foil over baking dish and bake for 40 minutes, or until cheese melts. Makes 9 rolls.
- To serve, ladle a little sauce on the plate and top with lasagna roll.

Source: Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 9 • Serving Size: 1 roll • Calories: 188

Here is a picture when you cut into the lasagna roll....pasta, spinach, and cheese...3 of my favorite things!
  And here is a picture of the little rascal who runs our household.  He did try the lasagna but was much more interested in peas and blueberries, 2 of his favorite things!  Tonight he sat at the dinner table with us for the first time in a booster chair instead of his high chair.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment