Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Beef Chili

Last week a cold front blew in and I couldn't wait to make chili.  I waited one day too late because I made this on Sunday night (halloween) and it was 80-something degrees outside.  It was still delicious.  This was a new recipe I tried and I didn't get a picture because we completely devoured the whole thing.  The recipe is from a cookbook my mother-in-love got me years ago -- A Perfect Setting; The Junior League of Lubbock: A Collection of West Texas Recipes.  I made a double recipe of what is posted below and before you ask, it wasn't just me and Luke eating it....we had some help.  :)  I served the chili on top of some white rice and put lots of cheese on top.  We also had cornbread on the side....yum!!!  Make this when it's cold outside (or not) and enjoy it!

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef ( I use ground sirloin)
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup water
1 (16-oz) can stewed tomatoes
1 can ranch-style beans

Directions:
Brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic in the skillet, stirring until crumbly; drain (I never drain the meat but I always use a lean ground beef).  Add the chili powder, flour, salt, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, cumin, sugar, water and undrained tomatoes and mix well.  Cook on low heat for 5 to 6 hours or until done to taste.  Stir in the beans and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment