Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Chicken Enchilada Casserole


Chicken Enchilada Casserole

I got this recipe from my sister in law a couple of years ago and we have been eating on a regular basis ever since.  It is super easy, especially when you already have the chicken cooked and shredded and waiting for you in your fridge or freezer, not to mention so yummy.  I normally make a 9x13 pan and we eat on the leftovers for lunch during the week.  This is a cheap, easy weeknight meal that freezes well too.  Enough jabber, here is a picture and the recipe:

It doesn't really photograph well but I think you can get the idea of the cheesey, ooey goodness from this one. 

Ingredients:
-2 -3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
-1 can green enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese (any kind of cheese is good in my opinion but I normally use monterrey jack)
-cumin (to taste)
-cayenne pepper (to taste)
-corn tortillas, torn into 4 pieces ( I probably used 12 - 15 tortillas )

Directions:
-          Layer the bottom of your 9x13 pan with torn corn tortillas.  For the bottom layer I try to cover as much as possible.
-          Spread a layer of shredded chicken on top of the tortillas
-          Spoon black beans, then enchilada sauce on top.
-          Sprinkle cumin and cayenne pepper over the dish
-          Add 1/3 of your cheese
-          Repeat the layers until you run out of ingredients or space.
-          Bake at 350 for 25 – 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

*Chicken Note: This week I used leftover salsa chicken in the casserole.  You can cook the chicken however you like.  I normally cook it on the stove with a bottle of salsa but you can do whatever you like.  Grilled, boiled, baked…I like to add some salsa to give it some flavor and it’s the lazy girl’s way to do it!  It is definitely better to prep the chicken ahead of time otherwise this recipe becomes not so quick.  

No comments:

Post a Comment