Monday, April 12, 2010

Chicken, Pineapple, and Peppers w/Rice

So we ended up leaving work pretty late today and got home an hour and a half later than normal.  Once we got home I remembered we were out of propane so I could not use the grill for our meal.  Rather than take the time to drive to the nearest Walgreens (literally about 2 - 3 minutes away) I just decided to throw everything in the pan on the stove.  It was still pretty tasty but I almost always prefer the grill to stove top cooking.  Luke and I both cleaned our plates though, if that tells you anything.  :)  I don't really have a recipe, but here goes.


Ingredients:
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 red belpepper, cut into chunks
- 1 small onion, cut into chunks
- 1 can pineapple chunks (in juice, not syrup)
- 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 or 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Cooked white rice


Directions:
- Marinate the chunks of chicken breast in the 1/3 cup of teriyaki sauce.  I normally do this the night before but since I didn't prepare last night the chicken only marinated for about 20 minutes tonight.  
- While the chicken is marinating, splash a tbsp or two of soy sauce into a hot saucepan (you need a pretty big one) and toss in the belpepper and onion.  Simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chicken to the pan and simmer on  medium high heat for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the pineapple chunks (some of the juice will inevitably still be in the can but that is ok) and stir.
-Put the lid on the pan and simmer on low heat for another 5 minutes or so.
- Serve with white rice














Like I said, I normally prefer this meal cooked on the grill on skewers because I like my veggies nice and crunchy.  This method of cooking it was almost like a stir fry but it was pretty tasty. We are all taking leftovers for lunch tomorrow too.  


Source: my original recipe (if you can call it that!)

1 comment:

  1. I love that you're doing this blog!! I'm really into cooking and finding new recipes right now, so I'll be visiting your blog frequently. This is one of my favorite meals, we love it. We always add zucchini to ours, you should try it sometime. Actually almost every time we grill (which is all the time) we grill zucchini (we just drizzle it with olive oil and season with whatever catches my eye) yum!
    -Steph

    ReplyDelete